Found in Common Cold and Flu remedies, Pseudoephedrine has been reclassified from a class C to B2 controlled drug under the Misuse of Drugs Amendment Act in New Zealand. Pseudoephedrine is the primary ingredient for a drug commonly known as ‘P’ but other names include Meth, Speed, Pure, Crystal, Ice, Crystal Meth, Crank and Glass.
Common Brand Names: Sudafed is a trademark for a common brand that contains pseudoephedrine,although Sudafed PE does not contain it. The following are some brand names of medications that have previously contained Pseudoephedrine, though some of them by now may contain phenylephrine instead.
- Sudafed (Johnson & Johnson [formerly Pfizer]
- Actifed (Burroughs Wellcome)
- Contac (GlaxoSmithKline) - contains pseudoephedrine HCL.
- Claritin-D - contains Loratadine along with pseudoephedrine.
- Zyrtec-D 12 Hour - contains pseudoephedrine HCL as well as cetirizine.
- MucinexD - contains pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin, an expectorant.
- Eltor (Sanofi Aventis)
- Allegra D (Sanofi Aventis) - contains fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine.
In short don't bother bringing it into the country as it will be confiscated and you could be fined or if you have more than reasonably required for personal use you could be deported or even jailed.