Arts and Artisans
There is so much to explore creatively in Nelson, it is well worth stopping in at the Nelson i-Site to pick up an Art Trail guide and individual artist information for those with home galleries.
The Suter Art Gallery opened in 1899 – and has been a cornerstone of Nelson’s creative community. Highlights include:
• New Zealand’s largest collection of watercolours by landscape artist, John Gully (1819-1888).
• A representative collection of works by Sir Mountford Tosswill Woollaston (1919-1998), one of the founders of modern art in New Zealand.
• A significant collection of works by ceramic artists of national and local renown.
Visit the long standing Saturday Market at Montgomery Square – there are high quality artisan goods as well as food and fresh produce. This is a vibrant meeting place for locals and visitors alike.
- Visit the Moutere Artisans & glittering Ruby Bay – stop for lunch at the Mapua Wharf and peruse the galleries that occupy the old Apple Packhouses located on the Wharf. Hoglund Art Glass studios are a fascinating experience to witness the art of molten creations.
- Near the airport you’ll find the home of the World of Wearable Arts (WOW) and Museum of Classic Cars.
- We can arrange a private tour of some of the best Artists & Galleries in the Region,