Trail grading for the majority of trails around NZ use the following guidelines:
- Grade 1. Fairly flat. Gravel, or smooth tracks. Great for riders new to the sport.
- Grade 2. Gentle climbs, nothing too significant. Optional small obstacles or challenges. Still suitable for beginners.
- Grade 3. Challenging rides with steeper sections, tougher terrain. Some level of experience and fitness required.
- Grade 4. Long steep climbs, tough obstacles, loose track surfaces, technical. Some walking may be required if you're skills aren't up to it!
- Grade 5. Killer climbs, with equally tough drop offs. Tough track conditions. More walking may be required.
- Grade 6. Competition or downhill sections. Insane obstacles track conditions or jumps. Only a select group will get enjoyment out of these trails.
There really is something for everyone! Ask us which are your best options, or see our bike tours.